As gardening season nears, I can’t help but be so inspired by all of the ways I see people using what they already have to grow their own food. One thing that really caught my eye was a pallet garden. When I spotted a pile of old pallets on my Dad’s farm a few weeks ago, I started to hatch a plan. Pallet gardening is so great, especially in small spaces, as you can lean the garden against any wall or fence and have an instant vertical space to grow your goods.
Inspired to grow your own pallet garden? Just follow these easy steps!
1. Find an old pallet. It doesn’t matter what it looks like. Just make sure the boards aren’t severely cracked or rotting.
2. Staple landscaping cloth to the bottom, sides and back of your pallet.
3. Fill with dirt.
4. Choose what plants you want to grow. I chose to do a salad garden for my first pallet. Lots of greens and herbs. Try to find things that have the same sunlight needs.
5. Plant your seedlings or seeds. Pack them in very tightly.
6. Water gently for two weeks while the roots take hold.
7. Stand your garden vertically against a wall or fence or leave it lying on the ground.
8. Enjoy the literal fruits of your labor all spring and summer long!
Stay tuned. I’ll post photos of the pallet through the seasons!