It is hot. And I have no air-conditioning. Yes, it is my choice but I have to say during heat waves like this, I start to question my sanity a bit.
Enter ice-cold, refreshing beverages. Here is one to try this weekend!
(photo by Jaymi Heimbuch)
Raspberry and Serrano Sangria (adapted from a recipe by Jerry James Stone)
1. Finely dice 2 apples and a small carton of strawberries and then cut 1 lime and 1 serrano pepper into fairly thick slices.
2. Layer apples, strawberries and a small carton of raspberries in a tall pitcher, adding a dash of honey in between every layer.
3. After all of the fruit has been layered, add the sliced serrano chile and a little more honey. Let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Add the Viognier to the fruit and sugar mixture.
5. Add 1/2 cup of white grape fruit juice and top it all off with 1 can of club soda. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
6. Once the sangría has chilled, bust out your favorite wine glasses.
7. Garnish the drink with some fresh mint and serve.